Frequently Asked Questions

Many services now open!

Need help? Come in, we're open! Select "learn more" to find out what's open on campus. - Learn More.

Frequently Asked Questions

What aid is available through the Financial Aid Office at LCC?

  • Scholarships via the LCC Foundation*
  • Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity
  • Washington College Grant (previously known as Washington State Need Grant)*
  • Federal and State Work Study (student employment)*
  • Direct subsidized loan*
  • Direct unsubsidized loan: non-need based

*Require financial need which is determined by your FAFSA

How do I apply for LCC scholarships?

LCC offers over $250,000 in scholarships each year. The scholarship application process is a separate application process from the financial aid application process. You can apply for scholarships on the LCC website at

Where and when do I apply for financial aid?

Apply starting October 1st of the prior academic year using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available at Use the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) at to apply for Washington State aid if you are an undocumented student. The FAFSA/WASFA determines which aid programs and the amount of aid for which you are eligible. You must apply with the FAFSA even if you are only applying for student loans. Your financial aid is not automatically renewed. You must apply one time each academic year with the FAFSA/WASFA. You do not need to reapply during an academic year even if you stopped attending one or more quarters.

I submitted my FAFSA or WASFA, what's next?

As required by the Department of Education, once your FAFSA or WASFA is received by LCC your file goes through a multi-step process designed to make sure that all required forms and documentation are received, you are eligible for financial aid, and you receive the correct amount of funds. Due to thousands of applications received each year, this process requires a minimum of 3-6 weeks to complete.

Front Office Staff: are available to assist you in determining whether you have correctly submitted all required forms. They are not able to inform you of your financial aid eligibility. Submitting all of your required forms is not an indicator of whether you are eligible for financial aid. Your aid eligibility can only be determined by staff in the back office. A positive response from office staff of your file is complete is not an indicator that you are eligible for financial aid or that you will receive financial aid.

I was told my financial aid file is complete, what's next?

Back office staff will process your file through all required steps set by the Department of Education and Washington State. As we move your file through the process we may have additional questions or need additional information to satisfy the requirements. We may contact you more than a few times to obtain all the information we need. Please be patient with us as we attempt to move your file through the process as efficiently as possible. Your immediate response to any additional information requested is appreciated and helps us to process your financial aid award faster. The final check to determine your eligibility for financial aid cannot take place until all information is received and all steps are complete on your file. We process all files in strict date order of completion. We cannot move your file ahead in line as students before you have been waiting longer and are equally in need of financial aid. If you change your enrollment level your financial aid will be delayed. Please be patient as we reprocess your file.

Remember that financial aid is only meant to assist you with your educational related expenses. You should have a back-up plan in place at all times for how you will meet your living expenses while you are waiting for financial aid.

What is the Financial Aid Portal?

The Financial Aid Portal allows you to view and upload documents required to complete your financial aid application, view messages from financial staff to you, view your financial aid award and see the date your financial aid check was processed. You are required to log into the portal frequently as it is the only notification of documents required and awards offered from the Financial Aid Office. LCC must receive your FAFSA/WASFA before you can log into the Portal.

Instructions for logging into the Financial Aid Portal are available at

What other forms do I need to turn in?

You may be asked to turn in additional forms. You will be notified of any additional forms required through the Financial Aid Portal. All financial aid forms are available on the Financial Aid webpage at

How is financial need determined?

The FAFSA collects information needed to determine your eligibility for aid. Based on the information you provide, the Financial Aid Office considers you for all aid programs for which you are eligible. The Financial Aid Office determines your financial need by subtracting your estimated family contribution (EFC) from your cost of attendance (COA): COA - EFC = NEED.

Your COA includes tuition/fees, books/supplies, personal expenses, transportation costs, and room/board costs. To treat all students equally, we use standard budgets and apply them to all applicants.

2019-20 Standard 9 Month Budget - Associate & Certificates

  • Tuition/Fees: $3,942 (living with parents); $3,942 (not living with parents)
  • Books/Supplies: $900 (living with parents); $900 (not living with parents)
  • Room/Board: $3,360 (living with parents); $10,770 (not living with parents)
  • Personal: $1.920 (living with parents); $2,400 (not living with parents)
  • Transportation: $1,200 (living with parents); $1,200 (not living with parents)
  • TOTAL: $11,322 (living with parents); $19,212 (not living with parents)

2019-20 Standard 9 Month Budget - Bachelor

  • Tuition/Fees: $7,590 (living with parents); $7,590 (not living with parents)
  • Books/Supplies: $900 (living with parents); $900 (not living with parents)
  • Room/Board: $3,360 (living with parents); $10,770 (not living with parents)
  • Personal: $1.920 (living with parents); $2,400 (not living with parents)
  • Transportation: $1,200 (living with parents); $1,200 (not living with parents)
  • TOTAL: $14,970 (living with parents); $22,860 (not living with parents)

Federal regulations require that additional resources such as scholarships, agency funding or tribal funding be considered a resource when awarding financial aid. If you have received additional resources you are required to inform our office so we may evaluate your financial aid eligibility.

How many credits do I have to enroll in to receive aid?

  • Pell Grant: minimum 1 credit
  • Federal Supplement Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): minimum 6 credits
  • Washington College Grant (previously known as Washington State Need Grant)/College Bound Scholarship: minimum 3 credits
  • Passport to College: minimum 6 credits
  • Work study: minimum 6 credits
  • Direct Loan: minimum 6 credits

What is my enrollment level?

  • Full time: 12+ credits
  • 3/4 time: 9-11 credits
  • 1/2 time: 6-8 credits
  • Less than 1/2 time: 1-5 credits

Your award is based on the number of credits for which you registered. To be considered full-time, you must take at least 12 credits during the term you register, including Summer Quarter.

Can I get financial aid for all four quarters including Summer Quarter?

Yes, you can receive full financial aid for all 4 terms of the year for Pell Grant, FSEOG, Washington College Grant (previously known as Washington State Need Grant), and work study. Your total annual award amount will be split over the four quarters instead of three quarters for loans.

What happens when I am awarded?

If you registered for classes, the cashier will use it to pay your tuition and fees and a check will process for the remainder, if any, after tuition and fees have been paid. The LCC Finance Office begins mailing checks 1-2 business days prior to the start of the quarter and daily thereafter. This is not a guarantee that your check will be mailed 1-2 business days before the start of the quarter because it is dependent on the date you completed your financial aid file and your full enrollment for the term. See financial aid deadlines.

What if I want to change my enrollment level?

Your enrollment level in Registration must match your enrollment level in Financial Aid. If it doesn’t match, your tuition and fees will not be paid and the system will not process a financial aid check for you. 

Prior to the start of the quarter, go to the Financial Aid Office to find out if your award will need to be adjusted if your enrollment level has changed. 

What if my financial aid is not enough to cover tuition and fees?

You are responsible for paying your tuition and fees or the balance not covered. Make payment at the cashier's window or online. Tuition Deferments and Payment Plans are also available, see the cashier for information and deadlines.

How do I receive a financial aid check?

If you have financial aid funds available after tuition and fees have been paid, you will receive the funds in the form of a check that will be mailed to you generally 1-2 business days prior to the start of quarter depending on when you completed your financial aid file. Make sure that LCC has your current address on file in the Registration Office at all times to avoid a delay in receiving your check. Your name must be on the mailbox at the address you provided or the US Post Office will not deliver your check.

I received my check, what do I do with it?

Cash it and then purchase your books and supplies. If there is any amount remaining, it can be used for education related expenses: housing, transportation, and personal expenses that you are incurring BECAUSE you are attending school. It cannot be used for non-education related expenses such as hobbies, entertainment, vacations, court/probation fines, etc., those are not expenses you have incurred BECAUSE you are attending school.

What is work study?

Work study allows you to obtain a job on campus and receive a regular paycheck. If you have financial need according to your FAFSA you may be eligible for a work study job. The Financial Aid Office can tell you if you are eligible. You must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits each quarter you work except summer quarter. If you are not registered for classes summer quarter, you may sign an Intent to Enroll form for Fall Quarter and still work during Summer Quarter. You receive a paycheck for the hours you work and will be paid once a month at the cashier's window. To find a job, go to Career and Employment Services, located in the Admission Center, and tell them you would like to find out about available work study jobs. If you find a job you want to apply for bring the job detail to the Financial Aid Office and we will send paperwork with you to the supervisor of that position.

How do I apply for a student loan?

You may apply for a loan in the 2018-19 academic year until April 6, 2019. If you are requesting a loan for the first time you must complete and submit the Federal Direct Loan Worksheet, Entrance Counseling, and Master Promissory Note. We also request you complete a money management module in iGrads. If you have received a Direct Loan at LCC in the past 10 years, generally you do not need to complete a new Master Promissory Note. Go to the Financial Aid Forms webpage located at, and then select Federal Direct Stafford Loan Worksheet. Follow all instructions to complete and submit the required forms.

  • The lifetime maximum on subsidized loans, for students who have financial need, is 150% of your program length for all students who are a new borrower or had a zero loan balance as of July 1, 2013. Example: if your program is 2 years in length you are eligible for up to 3 years of subsidized loans. If you request a student loan and are eligible for a subsidized loan, the Department of Education does not allow students to decline a subsidized loan for the purpose of saving eligibility for future use.
  • First time borrower's loan checks are not available until 30 days after the quarter begins.
  • If you met all financial aid application deadlines and you owe tuition and fees during this time, you will automatically be held in your classes. If you are held in your classes, you will not need to pay your tuition and fees until your loan check is available.
  • Loan checks for students receiving a loan for only one quarter during the academic year will be split in half with the second half available at approximately mid-term.
  • The annual maximum a first year student can borrow is $3,500 in a subsidized loan, second year $4,500 (you have less than 50% of program credits left to graduate). Unsubsidized loans: $2,000 for a dependent student and $6,000 for an independent student.
  • We are required to have a default management plan which includes contacting your regarding your loans while you are in school and after you leave school. If you become delinquent or default on your student loans, we may contact you to offer assistance.
  • If you have less than 36 credits remaining to complete your program, or you are a dependent student in a program less than 72 credits in length, your loan will be processed based on the following formula:


Credit Hours Enrolled

____________________ X Annual Direct Loan Limit

Credit Hours in an Academic Year (36)

What is the life time maximum for Pell Grant?

You may receive Pell Grant for 6 full years. This allows time for program changes and to complete a full bachelor degree. You should plan your academic goals carefully to avoid running out of time to complete your degree(s).

What if I want to drop one or more classes during the quarter?

Federal and state rules require that schools monitor your progress by reviewing the number of credits you were paid for against your transcript and your grade point average. Continued receipt of your financial aid award is dependent upon your satisfactory academic progress. If you drop credits during the quarter, including courses with variable credits attached, and it changes your enrollment level, your financial aid could be affected by warning, suspension, or a repayment of student aid funds. See the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards and Conditions of Your Award at the beginning of this handbook.

What if I stop attending LCC and I have a loan?

You are required by federal rules to complete Exit Loan Counseling available at . You will have to start making payment on the loan 6 months after you leave school, regardless of whether you graduate. Since a loan is money you will have to pay back, consider loans as a last resort for funding your education. If you fail to make the loan payment, your credit will be negatively affected and the Department of Education could even garnish your tax return to pay the loan. In addition, you will be ineligible to receive further aid at any college in the U.S. if your loan payments are not made timely.

LCC is held accountable for students who default on their student loans. It's imperative that you make and keep satisfactory payment arrangements with your loan servicer. We can assist you at any time in a contacting your loan servicer to make satisfactory payment arrangements, even if you're no longer a student.

What if I stop attending all of my classes during the quarter or receive all F grades in my classes?

You could owe a repayment of student aid funds and be placed on warning or suspension. See the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards and Conditions of Your Award at the beginning of this handbook.

What are my responsibilities as a student?

  • Have a backup plan. Financial aid is not usually enough to live off. Make a plan as to how you will meet your living expenses while you attend school. Suggestions: work study (employment), and scholarships.
  • Read and understand the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards and the Conditions of Your Award, in this handbook.
  • Log into the Financial Aid Portal on a regular basis to check for award updates and important messages from financial aid.
  • Read and understand your award. Remember loans must be paid back when you stop attending and regardless of whether you graduate.
  • Keep the Registration Office informed of your current address, phone number and email.
  • Understand that Department of Education and Washington State financial aid rules are complex. We are required to immediately address all eligibility issues when discovered, which can result in the loss or continued receipt of student aid.
  • Good conduct is expected when working with financial aid staff. Communicating in a professional and courteous manner which includes verbal, non-verbal or written.

What if I have other questions about financial aid?

Contact the Financial Aid Office:

  1. Email the Financial Aid Office at
  2. Call the Financial Aid Office at (360) 442-2390.
  3. Visit the Financial Aid Office in person in the Admission Center. Office hours vary.

What can I expect when I visit the Financial Aid Office?

We are often very busy assisting students in person, on the phone and via email. The wait times can vary depending on the time of the quarter. Take a number at the ticket system and watch the screen for your number to appear. For privacy and security, picture ID is required to verification your identity.

Copyright 2018 Lower Columbia College | All Rights Reserved.