Every state driver has the opportunity to promote safety on the state's roads by adopting and displaying safe driving habits at all times.

  Safe driving contributes to personal safety as well as to the safety of fellow drivers and pedestrians. 

Follow these rules and regulations while operating a State-Owned Vehicle:

To reserve a state-owned vehicle contact Lower Columbia College Campus Services at (360) 442-2260. Drivers of any full-sized van owned by LCC must complete Van Safety Training, subject to renewal every two years. Contact Environment Health & Safety to enroll at (360) 442-2273.

Drivers Must

  • Use state vehicles for official LCC business only.
  • Operate the vehicle in a professional and safe manner and comply with applicable traffic laws and regulations.
  • Use seat belts as required by state law (RCW 46.61.688) and verbally remind passengers of their responsibility to use seat belts.
  • Have a current driver's license with you at all times.
    • Student drivers must also have a minimum of two years driving experience and be 18 years of age, including student employees.
  • Official college volunteers may operate state owned vehicles. Volunteers must complete LCC's volunteer agreement.
  • Notify your supervisor within one business day if your driver's license becomes revoked, suspended, or invalid.
  • Safely organize and store equipment/supplies in the vehicle so they are secure in the event of a sudden stop.
  • Select well-lit, safe areas, for parking state vehicles, if possible.
  • Place valuable equipment out of view and lock the vehicle when unattended.
  • Direct any third party drivers/vehicle owners who wish to file a claim for damages allegedly cause by a state owned vehicle to the Washington State Department of Transportation- Risk Management Office (800) 737-0615.
  • Promptly pay fines to the appropriate jurisdiction for all parking tickets, citations or infractions received. Payment of fines and citations under these circumstances is the sole obligation and responsibility of the driver and is NOT to be reimbursed or paid by the state.
  • Adjust driving speed and vehicle equipment (i.e., use of lights, tire pressure, etc.) to changing weather conditions. Additionally, the driver is to alter travel plans as needed for personal safety due to inclement weather or sudden illness.
  • Purchase gas, oil, and other items with a state credit card and acquire emergency repairs to motor vehicles in accordance with applicable Department of Enterprise Services' motor vehicle regulations. More information is available at Washington State Department of Enterprise Services.
  • Follow LCC Policy 625 for reporting vehicle mechanical problems and arranging for service repairs or maintenance.
  • Maintain good appearance of the motor vehicle.
  • Complete the State of Washington Vehicle Accident Report (SF 137) or other approved vehicle accident report form when an accident results in either, or both, of the following: a. Injuries to a state driver, authorized passenger(s), and/or others. b. Damages to a state vehicle, privately owned vehicle, and/or other vehicle. The completed SF 137 must be mailed or submitted electronically within two working days to the Department of Enterprise Services, Office of Risk Management and the Safety and/or Risk Management Office of the reporting agency. See Procedures for Reporting Accidents.
  • Complete an LCC accident report if an accident occurs.

Drivers Must Not

  • Transport unauthorized passengers not engaged in official LCC business. Examples of unauthorized passengers may include, but are not limited to, friends, family and pets.
  • Use tobacco products.
  • Drive under the influence of alcohol, marijuana, drugs or any other impairing substances as advised by health professionals.
  • Transport alcohol/intoxicating substances in state vehicles unless transporting such substances is within the scope of the driver's official job duties.
  • Transport firearms, weapons, or explosives (concealed or otherwise).
  • Use radar or speed detecting devices.
  • Transport non-college enrolled high school or younger children in full size vans or other specialty vehicles not meeting state and federal school bus standards. Non-college enrolled high school and younger children may be transported in mini-vans and sedans.
  • Use electronic devices (as much as possible). Electronic devices include, but are not limited to: cell phones, blackberries, and portable video/music players.
  • Hold hand-held wireless communication devices to their ear; or read, write or send text messages except to report illegal activity, summon emergency help, or prevent injury to persons or property.

Contact Safety & Security

The Safety & Security Office is located in the Student Center on the first floor (main lobby). To reach a campus security office call 2911 from a campus phone or (360) 442-2911 from any other phone.

  Jason Arrowsmith / Director of Student Conduct and Security Service

  (360) 442-2270

  Nolan Wheeler / Vice President of Administration

  (360) 442-2200