Out of State Student Complaint Process

Lower Columbia College is a participating member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA).

SARA "is an agreement among member states, districts, and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offerings of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. SARA is overseen by a national council and administered by four regional education compacts." (Washington Student Achievement Council Website)

Professional Licensure

Lower Columbia College's online courses and programs do not lead to professional licensure. However, all of our courses and programs are fully accredited and course credits may transfer to university programs that may lead to state professional licensure. Please contact elearning staff with any questions at eLearning@lowercolumbia.edu.

In compliance with the language passed in the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, institutions offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency, and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student's state.

Where to Direct Concerns and Complaints

Your Instructor or the eLearning Department

First, work with your instructor to resolve any online course issues. If your issue can't be resolved directly with your instructor, contact the eLearning Department at 360-442-2520 or eLearning@lowercolumbia.edu. When you contact the eLearning Department, we can help you through the complaint process. Once this process has been exhausted, you should contact the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC)

You can also use our Make a Report page to report academic dishonesty, discrimination, concerning behavior, and more. 

The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC)

The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) has authority to investigate student complaints against specific schools. WSAC may not be able to investigate every student complaint. Visit WSAC Student Complaints for information regarding the WSAC complaint process.

Accrediting Agency

Lower Columbia College is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.

For complaints about Academic Dishonesty, Student Code of Conduct, and concerning or threatening behavior, students and staff a can also file a report on our Make a Report webpage.

Complaint Resolution Contacts by State


eLearning is an important part of Lower Columbia College, with many students participating in federal financial aid. Recent amendments to the Higher Education Act of 1965 include changes in regulation that may impact online, distance, and correspondence education providers. Specifically:

If an institution is offering postsecondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a State in which it is not physically located, or in which it is otherwise subject to State jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any State requirements for it to be legally offering postsecondary distance or correspondence education in that State. An institution must be able to document to the Secretary the State's approval upon request. (Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1001 and 1002).

Director of Human Resources & Legal Affairs

This person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination, equal opportunity, affirmative action or the ADA policies or for Title IX/504 compliance issues:

Lower Columbia College
1600 Maple Street, Longview, WA 98632

  (360) 442-2120
TTY/Video Relay Service: 7-1-1 or (800) 833-6388

College publications available in alternate formats on request.

Please contact Disability and Access Services

  (360) 442-2340