The IRS created the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) for students to import information directly from the IRS into the FAFSA. Unfortunately, the DRT is likely to be unavailable until September 2017.

For more information see IRS and FSA Official Statement about the DRT, March 30, 2017.

Because the DRT is not currently working, if you are selected for verification and didn't access the DRT before it stopped working, you will need to submit a signed copy of the IRS form that was submitted by you and/or your parent. If you don't have a copy of the form(s) submitted to the IRS, you must request a Tax Return Transcript.

Request a Tax Return Transcript

Complete one of the following to request your tax return transcript:

  1. Go to to request a Tax Return Transcript electronically using the Get IRS Transcript option, or
  2. Request a transcript using IRS Form 4506-T or IRS Form 506T-EZ, or
  3. Call (800) 908-9946

If you request to have a transcript mailed to you, the IRS will use the address they have on file (the address you put on your most recent tax return). If you (or your parents and/or spouse) have moved since you filed your last tax return, please update your address through the IRS using IRS Form 8822 before requesting your transcript.

Dependent Students: only your parent is required to provide proof of non-filing from the IRS. If you and/or your parents filed an IRS tax return, you are required to either use the Data Retrieval Tool or provide a copy of your IRS tax transcript.


  1. Sometimes the IRS will fax a copy of your Tax Return Transcript. You must be standing next to the fax machine in order for this to occur.
  2. If you do not have a phone and cannot afford a stamp to mail in IRS Form 4506-T, you can use the phone in the Career Center or in the Financial Aid Office located in the Admissions Center during regular business hours.
  3. Many federal agencies have experienced hiring freezes or other budget cuts, and the IRS is no exception. This has slowed their response time, so it's very important that you plan ahead as extended wait times are possible. Your financial aid cannot be processed until you have submitted the required documentation.
  4. The IRS does not accept requests for transcripts at its Taxpayer Assistance Centers.
  5. IRS Forms are available at

Contact Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office is conveniently located in the Admissions Center. Financial Aid counters open at 10 am on Fridays.

 Financial Aid Office

  (360) 442-2390
Fax: (360) 442-2379


Mon - Fri: 8 am - 5 pm*

*Student aides staff the front counter every Wed. from 8 - 11 am and 2 - 5 pm.

Closed on Fridays during summer session (July/Aug).


Use LCC School Code 003782 when completing the FAFSA.

Computers available in the Admissions Center.

Copyright 2018 Lower Columbia College | All Rights Reserved.