Start off your college experience at the right level! An accurate placement will allow
us to evaluate your Math and English needs, and help your Advisor recommend the best
courses to start you in the right direction.
Students who plan to earn a degree or certificate from Lower Columbia College, or
who plan to transfer to a four-year institution, can use multiple measures for the
purpose of determining English and Math placement.
- Options for math placement at LCC include MyMathTest (a test format from a company
called Pearson, with actual test content developed by LCC faculty), test scores from
another college, previous college course work, Smarter Balanced scores, or high school
transcripts. Please find study materials here.
- Options for English placement at LCC include Smarter Balanced scores, test scores
from another college, previous college coursework, or a new option called Directed
Self-Placement. Please learn more about our New English Directed Self-Placement here.
Please note: No appointment necessary for Placement Testing.
What You Need
- Photo ID
- 3+ hours for testing. English and Math do not need to be taken the same day.
How to Prepare for your math test.
Policies & Recommendations
- Course placements are mandatory. Be sure to adequately prepare yourself prior to testing.
- You are allowed one retake. You must wait 24 hours before retesting, and you should
- Placement results expire after two years.
Request Your Test Scores
Fill out this form and fax it to 360.442.2359
Request Test Scores
Interpret Your Test Scores
See this chart to interpret your scores
Interpret Test Scores
Already taken college classes?
- If you have already taken college level courses at LCC or another institution (especially
English or Math), your credits may be transferable.
- Get your transcript evaluated.
- Bring a copy of your transcript to New Student Orientation.
Already taken placement tests?
- If you took Placements tests at LCC or another institution within the last two years,
you are welcome to use these scores. Scores from other colleges may be faxed to our
office at 360.442.2359.
- Note: LCC only accepts Compass placement test results
Math Transfer Agreement
- If you successfully completed math courses at a local high school, you may qualify
to take college level Mathematics courses without placement. Request the Math Transfer
Agreement for details. If you qualify for either of these alternatives, you must bring
a copy of your transcript for review with an advisor.