Adding and Withdrawing from Classes

Adding and Withdrawing from Classes

Adding a Class

Students may add classes online using ctcLink through the third day of instruction. After the third day of instruction, the instructor’s written permission is required. Restrictions may apply; be sure to check with the instructor. 

Withdrawing from a Class

Students may withdraw from a class and not receive a W grade if the withdrawal is submitted by the end of the 10th instructional day of the quarter for fall, winter, and spring quarter courses. For courses shorter than 10 weeks, including summer quarter courses, the last day to withdraw without a W is 20% of the length of the course.

Students may withdraw from some or all of their classes through Friday of the eighth week of instruction in fall, winter, and spring quarters.  For courses shorter than 10 weeks, including summer quarter courses, the last day to withdraw is 80% of the length of the course. Students can officially withdraw by dropping a class in ctcLink or notifying the Registration Office in writing by 11:59pm on the last day to withdraw. If a student stops attending a class without officially withdrawing, they will remain on the roster and receive a grade accordingly.

Instructor-Initiated Withdrawal

Students should attend scheduled class sessions. Non-attending students should contact their instructor in person, by phone, or by email and notify them of their intention to remain enrolled or they will be administratively withdrawn by the instructor during the first five instructional days of the quarter. An instructor will initiate a withdrawal for a non-attending student at any point during the first five instructional days of the quarter if the student does not attend class and fails to contact the instructor to indicate their intention to remain enrolled. 

Types of Withdrawals

  • Administrative withdrawal: initiated by the Vice President of Student Services, or designee, for disciplinary actions and health or safety issues. If approved, a W grade will be recorded for the course.
  • Emergency Medical Withdrawal: students requesting an emergency withdrawal and/or reinstatement for health or medical reasons must provide appropriate medical documentation from a physician, licensed mental health provider, or other qualified healthcare provider. Contact Registration at or (360) 442-2370 for instructions on requesting a medical withdrawal. 

Who to Consult Before Dropping a Class or Classes

Although you never enroll in a class with the plan to withdraw, there are times when it is necessary and in your best interest. There are many reasons you may consider dropping a class, including unexpected life circumstances, material that is too difficult or time consuming given your current academic load, or accidentally enrolling in a course that isn’t a good fit for your academic interests and goals. Before deciding to withdraw, it is important to consider all of your options by discussing them with faculty and staff, considering the timing, and knowing the impacts. 

If you are considering dropping a class, ask for guidance from the staff and faculty who are here to help you:

  • Course Instructor: as you consider withdrawing, the first person you should contact is your instructor. No one knows the material and future challenges coming in the course better than your instructor. Also, it is likely that everyone else you consult will recommend you talk with your instructor. 
  • Advisor: if you and your instructor agree withdrawing may be a viable option, still check in with your advisor. Advisors usually know when that course will be offered next and what the implications for withdrawing will be. They can also discuss alternatives to withdrawing, including, but not limited to: 
    • Time Management: occasionally, it may just be a matter of building a plan to better manage your time. Often, people budget their money but neglect to do the same with time. Like money, you have a limited amount of time. If you are trying to balance academics with other commitments, it’s very difficult to do so without planning ahead and setting aside time for specific activities.
    • Tutoring: LCC offers tutoring in a variety of subjects for free. If the course material is challenging, your chances of success will significantly improve if you commit some time for tutoring. Often, you will actually save time in the long run as your studies will be more directed and focused. 
    • Instructor Office Hours: Every instructor has office hours. You can find these in the course syllabus as well as in LCC’s directory. Take advantage of the opportunity to get some one-on-one time to ask questions and get feedback on your work.
  • Supplemental Advisor: Many students have a supplemental advisor, such as a TRiO, International, athletic, or Workforce advisor. They will serve as another valuable resource. In addition to assisting you with the same things as an advisor, they can also inform you of any consequences your withdrawal may have on your eligibility to participate in the programs they represent. 
  • Financial Aid/Funding Source: Depending on when you withdraw from a course, you may need to repay the money you received. For the most current information, go to the Financial Aid Handbook or consult the Financial Aid Office. It is also crucial to consult with any other funding sources you may have. This may include, but is not limited to, a scholarship, state program, or family member. 

What Impacts Will a W Have on my Transcript?

Earning a W grade can have consequences.

  • Transfer opportunities: one or two W grades generally are not a cause for concern when universities are reviewing transcripts as part of the admissions process. To make sure, you can always contact the admissions department of the university you want to attend if you have questions about how your LCC grades could impact your future application.
  • Prerequisites and Selective Admission Programs: Students applying to certain health science or other selective admission programs should research repeat limits on prerequisites. Although LCC’s nursing program does not as of 2020, many nursing programs only allow students to repeat a prerequisite course, such as Anatomy and Physiology, once within a certain period of time. 
  • Grade Point Average (GPA): a W grade does not impact your GPA. A low grade will. However, opting to stay in the course and receive a low grade does not always  have a permanent impact on your cumulative GPA. Repeating a course will eliminate the original grade’s impact on your cumulative GPA. Also, consider your other classes and the time that can be spent on them if you choose to withdraw from another class.

How to Withdraw from a Class using ctcLink

You can withdraw from a class in ctcLink.  From your Student Homepage, select Manage Classes, click on Drop Classes, and select the term on the right. From there, you can select the class by clicking on the checkbox on the left next to the class and select the Next button in the upper-right corner. On the next screen, click on the Drop Classes button and confirm the drop by clicking the Yes button on the separate pop-up dialog box. From there, you should receive a confirmation. If you can, take a screenshot of that confirmation and save it. 

Verification of your Withdrawal

After you withdraw, there’s one more critical step: double check to make sure you withdrew successfully. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for a student to think they withdrew, only to find out that, for whatever reason, they did not and received an F in the class. After withdrawing, go back to your class schedule in ctcLink and verify the course now says “dropped” or “withdrawn.”


For a 100% refund of tuition for a class that runs for the entire term, students must withdraw prior to the sixth instructional day of the quarter; for a 50% refund, students must withdraw within the first 20 calendar days of the quarter. Refunds are prorated for classes with non-standard start or end dates. Short classes will be refunded based on the percentage of the class completed. Contact the Registration Office for exact refund deadlines for classes that do not follow the standard academic calendar.

The tuition refund policy of Lower Columbia College is governed by Washington state law (RCW 28B.15.605, RCW 28B.10.270). A request for a refund after the official deadline may be approved in cases of documented medical injury or illness, death in the immediate family, military service, significant personal hardship, or college error resulting in forfeiture of tuition and fees. To request a refund, contact the Registration Office. All requests must include a written student statement and verifiable documentation of the unanticipated event, emergency, or circumstances outside the student’s control that justify refunding tuition and fees after the refund deadline.

Refunds for federal financial aid recipients are calculated according to federal regulations. Any student receiving financial aid is advised to contact the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from a class as there may be a negative impact on a student's ability to receive financial aid in the future, and the student may be required to repay financial aid funds already received. 

Students should review the Financial Aid Handbook or consult the Financial Aid Office for more information about the impact of dropping a class.

Refer to the academic calendar for exact dates and deadlines related to withdrawals and refunds.

Requesting an Amendment of Education Records

Students may request the amendment of their education records if they believe the records are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of their privacy rights under FERPA. A student who wishes to ask the College to amend a record should first submit a written request to the Registration Office. The request must clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed and include a detailed explanation of the error or misleading information as well as documentation or evidence to support the request.

The Registration Office will investigate the claim and provide a written response within 30 days of receipt of the request. If the investigation confirms that an error or misleading information exists in the education record, it will be corrected.

If the College decides not to amend the record as requested, the Registration Office will notify the student in writing of the decision and of the student’s right to a hearing, including instructions on requesting a hearing. The student may request a hearing by submitting a written request to the Vice President of Student Services within 30 days of the denial notification date.

The Vice President of Student Services will schedule a hearing within 45 days of receipt of a valid request for a hearing regarding a denied request to amend a student’s records. The student will be notified in writing of the day, time, and place of the hearing, at least 15 days before the hearing. The hearing will be conducted by the Vice President of Student Services and will include the registrar and one or more representatives from the College department(s) relevant to the request, if any. If the Vice President of Student Services has a direct interest in the outcome of the hearing, the Vice President of Instruction will designate an impartial representative to conduct the hearing. 

During the hearing, the student will have a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the original request. The student may, at their own expense, be assisted or represented by one or more individuals of their choice, including an attorney. Within 15 days of the hearing, the Vice President of Student Services will notify the student in writing of the decision. The decision will be based solely on the evidence presented at the hearing, and will include a summary of the evidence and the reason for the decision. 

If, as a result of the hearing, the College decides that the information in the education record is not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of the student, the student will be notified in writing of their right to place a statement in their record commenting on the contested information, or stating why the student disagrees with the decision of the College, or both. If the student chooses to submit such a statement, the College shall maintain the statement with the contested part of the record for as long as the record is maintained, and shall disclose the statement whenever it discloses the portion of the record to which the statement relates. 

Copyright 2022 Lower Columbia College | All Rights Reserved.