Lower Columbia College
Learning Commons Mission Statement
Our mission is to provide an innovative, learning-centered environment that maximizes individual and group teaching and learning by integrating academic support services, resources, technology, and information literacy instruction to promote collaboration and academic excellence.
Our vision is to be a welcoming, integrated, and collaborative learning environment that serves as a vital resource for academic support and life-long learning to the college and community.
The Learning Commons will fulfill this mission by meeting the following outcomes:
- Provide access to current and relevant information for the entire community.
- Foster learning by educating, guiding, and listening to patrons.
- Identify and promote cutting edge resources and practices for teaching and learning.
- Create and execute clear and effective policies.
- Recognize, utilize, and support the use of information technology.
- Establish and maintain professional collaboration between faculty, staff, and students.
- Integrate space, services, and activities to foster a positive and energetic learning environment.
- Support and encourage personal and professional growth and development.
- Demonstrate and model respect.
To carry out its mission, the Learning Commons has set the following goals:
- To provide core academic support services that enable students to excel.
- To provide easy access to a variety of learning spaces and resources that encourage personal and professional success.
- To support the research process from search and discovery to synthesis and presentation.
- To provide individualized services for diverse learning styles.
- To promote and foster faculty participation and support.
- To assist students in becoming critical thinkers, self-directed learners, and engaged citizens to build a better community.
- To maintain effective administrative planning and operation, in accordance with established principles of the Learning Commons and College policy.
- To support an environment of professional growth, respect, and collaboration among staff members
- To establish an environment that welcomes new ideas to improve services, and maintains a positive, forward-thinking momentum.
Adopted: January 21, 2009