The Running Start program offers eligible high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to enroll in college classes at Lower Columbia College and receive both high school and college credit. The program was created by the Washington State Legislature to provide academically qualified students an opportunity to take college courses while they are still in high school.
Students may enroll simultaneously in high school and college classes, or solely in college classes. Students receive both high school and college credit for completed classes.
You Can Join Running Start Program Fall Quarter!
* Testing and applications must be completed by Aug. 1 to enroll for Fall Quarter 2013.
Steps to get started:
- Apply for Admission online to Lower Columbia College.
- Take the Placement Test in reading, writing, and math. Placement Test information.
- Cost: $30
- No appointment necessary: Hours are M-TH 8 am -5 pm, last test issued at 3 pm
- Location: Lower Columbia College Admissions Center
- Bring: picture ID (driver's license, permit or ID, passport or ASB card)
- Tell: staff you are testing for Running Start
- Once you've passed, you will get an application packet.
- Read the instructions in the application packet and follow the instructions.
- Turn in your application by August 1.
- The sooner you test, the sooner you can register
- The Running Start staff will tell you the next steps when you turn in your packet.
|Important Dates and Deadlines|
The LCC fall class schedule will tentatively be online May 13, 2013
- Returning students: review the class schedule and start planning out your classes. Fill out the Enrollment Verification Form (EVF) before you meet with your high school counselor. Include your classes if you know them (leave the FTE lines blank). Print the EVF, and bring it with you on your school’s advising date below.
- New students: Before you meet with your high school counselor on the date noted below, fill out the Enrollment Verification Form (EVF), (all the way to grade level) then print it and bring it with you on your school’s advising date below.
Note: Running Start students have different deadlines that the general student body.
Advising/Registration dates at your school that you MUST attend:
- May 16: Mark Morris High School 8:30 am - 3 pm, LGIC room
- May 17: RA Long High School 8:30 am - 3 pm, Career Center
- May 20: Kalama High School 10 am - 2 pm, Mrs. Delker’s office
- May 21-22: Kelso High School 8:30 am - 3 pm, Counselor’s office
- May 23: Castle Rock High School 10 am - 2 pm, Miss Albin’s office
- May 24 – 30: Students not enrolled at schools above: Call Megan Wiggins at 360-442-2440 to make an appointment with Marcy Gilchrist or Liza Domingo. Meet with your high school counselor before your LCC advising appointment.
If you don’t attend a date at your high school (including home and private school students), we won’t schedule you an advising appointment until after May 27.
For more dates and deadlines, please refer to the Running Start Calendar.
Did you just miss the mark on your reading or writing test?
If your test scores were too low to qualify for Running Start you still have an option. Enroll in 98 this summer! It is a 5 credit class that covers many of the basics to prepare you for college level English. If you pass the course and are placed into English 101 you can participate in Running Start in the fall.
NOTE: This class is not covered through the Running Start Program, so you will have to pay for the 5 credit English 98 class. Contact
for more information.
Did we miss you?
If you’re a student who submitted an application but have not been contacted by our office regarding fall registration contact
Need to find your schedule or grades?
Go to the Lower Columbia College home page, select Kiosk from the Quick Find (instructions below). You can view and print your unofficial transcript or current class schedule. If your current schedule does not show in the kiosk for that quarter, contact
PIN Update/Student Kiosk
To help keep your information private, you will now access the Student Kiosk with your LCC Student ID number and your birthdate.
Go to the Student Kiosk and enter your student ID when asked (900-XX-XXX). You will then enter your birthday using 6 digits to create your PIN (ex. June 8, 1991 is entered 060891). If you follow this process and it does not let you in, contact
*Running Start students can’t access their waitlist status online. Email
for waitlist position.
The Running Start Office is located in the Student Center, Room 107 (inside the Student Activities Office, 1st floor)
Appointments or general information: Megan Wiggins, Program Coordinator, at 360-442-2440.
Specific student advising questions: Marcy Gilchrist, Running Start Coordinator, at 360-442-2352.
< back to top
Key changes to the Washington State Running Start program took effect Fall 2011. Please review important changes to the Running Start Program and contact Running Start staff with any questions.
< back to top