Major Hazardous Material Spill Procedure
- Evacuate the immediate area, and alert others to do the same. If an injury has occurred,
call 9-911 from a campus phone or 911 from any other phone. If you have bodily contact
with the spilled material, remove any contaminated clothing immediately and flush
affected areas of the body with water for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Once the area has been evacuated, call Campus Security at 2911 from a campus phone
or 360.442.2911 from any other phone for further action steps. Provide: building,
floor, room number, type of incident, name and approximate amount of chemical substance.
- Notify your Dean or supervisor and complete an Accident Report.This form is also available on the Human Resources page in the Faculty-Staff website.
- Do not return to building until instructed to do so by authorized personnel.
Minor Hazardous Material Spill Procedure
Call Campus Services at 2260 from a college phone or 360.442.2260 from any other phone
for help with assessing the spill and cleaning it up.
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Contain the spill.
- Clean up the spill using clean-up materials specified for the chemical(s) spilled.
- Dispose of contaminated spill material using the college's hazardous waste management
procedures (contact the Environmental Health & Safety Manager at 2273 from a campus
phone or 360.442.2273 from any other phone for further information).
Hazardous Materials Inventory and Safety Data Sheets (SDS's)
Know the location of SDS binder(s) in your work area. If you need help locating the
binder, ask your supervisor. Before handling any potentially hazardous material, read
and understand the SDS and product label, and follow special handling instructions
to prevent chemical exposure and accidents. For more information on hazardous materials
handling contact the Environmental Health & Safety Manager at 2273 from a campus phone
or 360.442.2273 from any other phone.